Ingapirca (meaning “Inca Wall”) is the largest and most well know ruins of Ecuador. Only a couple hour drive from Cuenca, Ingapirca contains the history and culture of the Cañari and Inca’s. Most people know of the Inca’s and their conquests but this time, the Cañari weren’t so easily defeated. The Inca instead proposed a political alliance.
Both cultures respected each other and lived harmoniously as the Inca’s worshiped the sun, and the Cañari worshiped the moon. At the site, you’ll see not only the sun temple of the Incas but the half moon temple of the Cañari. Interestingly, it was easy to see the differences in building techniques. The Cañari used rough cut stones and mortar where the Inca’s used no mortar and precisely fitting stones to build walls.
Llamas and more llamas
Also on the site, you’ll find a very complex underground aqueduct system that carried water to the entire site. On the property, there are Llamas, which are free to roam portions of the property.
Although there is some signage in English, we found it invaluable to go there with an experienced guide. Remember that Ingapirca is located at 10,200 feet elevation so between the altitude and the winds, it can be cold. In the main building, you’ll find a small gift shop and bathrooms.
If you’re up for a little bit of a walk, go down the road to see the famous Inca face on the side of the mountain. You might also run into some very interesting locals.
- BORED IN RETIREMENT? THINK AGAIN AND HAVE FUN - March 4, 2017
- THE MOST DANGEROUS & DIFFICULT HIKE I’VE EVER DONE - November 20, 2016
- UNIQUE PAXIS BACKPACK, WHY I MADE THE SWITCH - November 9, 2016
- EXPERIENCE AMALFI IN A BEAUTIFUL PRIVATE VILLA - October 30, 2016
- HOW TO GET THE BEST NIGHT SLEEP WHEN TRAVELING - October 29, 2016
- AMAZING AMALFI COAST, AFFORDABLE DAY ON A BOAT - October 9, 2016
- CHORDELEG ECUADOR, EXCLUSIVE SILVER SHOPPING AT ITS BEST - August 2, 2016
- INGAPIRCA, A VISIT TO THE AMAZING YET POWERFUL PAST - July 10, 2016
- HIGH ATOP IN TURI, UNSURPASSED VIEW OF CUENCA ECUADOR - June 18, 2016
- PUMAPUNGO – ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITE IN CUENCA EC - June 11, 2016
Get more stuff like this
Join others and get tips, guides, news and more delivered once a week.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.