Have you ever ridden in a tuk tuk (pronounced, “took took”)? A tuk tuk is a motorized, sputtering, three-wheeled taxi. I have been fascinated with tuk tuks since we traveled to Guatemala and rode around in one of these several times a day. They are typically cheaper than a conventional taxi, but the ride is not the most comfortable. The great thing is that its little size allows it to slip into many places a car could not. I think if you travel where these are popular, a ride in one is mandatory for an authentic cultural experience. We saw many different types of these tuk tuk vehicles in Peru.
Many people refer to tuk tuks as a motorized rickshaw. Characterized by a sheet-metal body or open frame resting on three wheels, a canvas roof with drop-down side curtains, a small cabin at the front to accommodate the driver with a steering wheel or handlebar controls, and cargo and or passenger space at the rear are typical of a tuk tuk.
Although styles of tuk tuks may differ throughout the world, most are small, colorful, and an adventure to ride in. If you are in a hot and humid area, think twice before getting into a tuk tuk for a long ride as they do not have air conditioning. If other places are like Central and South America, I think you can count on most of them coming standard with a fast driver who will maneuver quickly between cars.
Want to experience a tuk tuk while in the US, then take a trip to Denver where you can ride in an eTuk or an electric tuk tuk. The company making these vehicles sees themselves as yet another transportation option aimed at a car-less generation. So maybe a few years from now they will be as common as Uber.
- BLOWGUNS & CHOCOLATE ADVENTURE IN THE AMAZON - May 20, 2017
- THE INCREDIBLE THERMAL BATHS OF BANOS ECUADOR - May 1, 2017
- BAÑOS THE ADVENTURE CAPITAL OF ECUADOR - April 17, 2017
- HOUSE HUNTERS INTERNATIONAL FILMING IN CUENCA - March 31, 2017
- HOUSE HUNTERS INTERNATIONAL-JOURNEY TO FAME - March 19, 2017
- LA LOBERIA & LA CHOCOLATERA – SEA WOLVES IN SALINAS - February 24, 2017
- LAKE TITICACA AND ITS MARVELOUS FLOATING ISLANDS - January 16, 2017
- MACHU PICCHU-A BREATHTAKING LOST CITY FOUND - December 11, 2016
- THE TUK TUK, GET AROUND QUICK CHEAP AND EASY - December 6, 2016
- AUTHENTIC FOOD OF PERU, MORE THAN GUINEA PIG - December 3, 2016
Get more stuff like this
Join others and get tips, guides, news and more delivered once a week.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.