A Tuk Tuk or Three-Wheeled Taxi
Have you ever ridden in a tuk tuk (pronounced, “took took”)? A tuk tuk is a motorized, sputtering, three-wheeled taxi. I have been fascinated with tuk tuks since traveling to Guatemala where we rode in one several times a day. They are typically cheaper than a conventional taxi, but the ride is not the most comfortable. The great thing is that its little size allows it to slip into many places a car could not. I think if you travel where these are popular, a ride in one is mandatory for an authentic cultural experience. We saw many different types of these tuk tuk vehicles in Peru.
Many people refer to tuk tuks as a motorized rickshaw. Tuk tuks are characterized by a sheet-metal body or open frame resting on three wheels. They have a canvas roof with drop-down side curtains, with a small cabin at the front to accommodate the driver. They drive with a typical steering wheel or handlebar controls, and have cargo and or passenger space at the rear.
Take an Adventurous Ride
Although styles of tuk tuks may differ throughout the world, most are small, colorful, and an adventure to ride in. If you are in a hot and humid area, think twice before getting into a tuk tuk for a long ride as they have no air conditioning. If other places are like Central and South America, I think you can count on most of them coming standard with a fast driver who will maneuver quickly between cars.
Want to experience a tuk tuk while in the US, then take a trip to Denver where you can ride in an eTuk or an electric tuk tuk. The company making these vehicles sees themselves as yet another transportation option aimed at a car-less generation. So maybe a few years from now, they will be as common as Uber.
See our other adventures in Peru.
- PLAYA DEL CARMEN SHOPPING ON THE FABULOUS 5TH AVENUE - July 26, 2017
- SWIM THE BEAUTIFUL CENOTES OF PLAYA DEL CARMEN - July 20, 2017
- HOW TO RETIRE EARLY IN 6 EASY STEPS AT ANY AGE - July 11, 2017
- HUNTSVILLE WALKING TOUR – LEARN MORE ON FOOT - June 17, 2017
- A BLAST AT THE US SPACE AND ROCKET CENTER - June 10, 2017
- AMAZON JUNGLE ADVENTURE – BLOWGUNS & CHOCOLATE - May 20, 2017
- THERMAL BATHS IN BANOS ECUADOR ARE AMAZING - May 1, 2017
- BAÑOS THE ADVENTURE CAPITAL OF ECUADOR - April 17, 2017
- HOUSE HUNTERS INTERNATIONAL FILMING IN CUENCA - March 31, 2017
- HOUSE HUNTERS INTERNATIONAL-JOURNEY TO FAME - March 19, 2017