A Tuk Tuk or Three-Wheeled Taxi
Have you ever ridden in a tuk tuk (pronounced, “took took”)? A tuk tuk is a motorized, sputtering, three-wheeled taxi. I have been fascinated with tuk tuks since traveling to Guatemala where we rode in one several times a day. They are typically cheaper than a conventional taxi, but the ride is not the most comfortable. The great thing is that its little size allows it to slip into many places a car could not. I think if you travel where these are popular, a ride in one is mandatory for an authentic cultural experience. We saw many different types of these tuk tuk vehicles in Peru.
Many people refer to tuk tuks as a motorized rickshaw. Tuk tuks are characterized by a sheet-metal body or open frame resting on three wheels. They have a canvas roof with drop-down side curtains, with a small cabin at the front to accommodate the driver. They drive with a typical steering wheel or handlebar controls, and have cargo and or passenger space at the rear.
Take an Adventurous Ride
Although styles of tuk tuks may differ throughout the world, most are small, colorful, and an adventure to ride in. If you are in a hot and humid area, think twice before getting into a tuk tuk for a long ride as they have no air conditioning. If other places are like Central and South America, I think you can count on most of them coming standard with a fast driver who will maneuver quickly between cars.
Want to experience a tuk tuk while in the US, then take a trip to Denver where you can ride in an eTuk or an electric tuk tuk. The company making these vehicles sees themselves as yet another transportation option aimed at a car-less generation. So maybe a few years from now, they will be as common as Uber.
See our other adventures in Peru.
- Making Your Own Unique Gin in Irelands Gin School is the Most Fun - December 12, 2017
- Experience Irelands Ancient East, Road Trip Itinerary Day 4 - November 28, 2017
- Experience Irelands Ancient East, Road Trip Itinerary Day 3 - November 21, 2017
- Experience Irelands Ancient East, Road Trip Itinerary Day 2 - November 14, 2017
- Experience Irelands Ancient East, Road Trip Itinerary Day 1 - November 7, 2017
- Enjoy the Romance of Ireland's Exclusive Castles and Manor Houses - October 31, 2017
- Nova Scotia Wineries – Fantastic Wines Not to Be Missed - October 24, 2017
- Campobello Island – Where You Can Enjoy Tea with Eleanor - October 17, 2017
- Boston – The 11 Best Things For You To See And Do In The City - September 26, 2017
- Prince Edward Island 9 Top Things You Need to See and Do - September 18, 2017