The Convent Museum (Museo del Monasterio de las Conceptas) has a very non-descriptive entrance. Once you go through the doors, the size of the monastery is incredible, taking up almost an entire city block. The museum, founded in 1599, will enlighten you to the life and customs of the nuns in a monastery. They have life-size dioramas that show the daily life of the sisters. Many of the rooms are set up as they were used back in the day. The collection of religious artifacts and art is fascinating.
The museum has a large selection of antique toys that were brought in by the girls (as young as 12) that were entering the convent. The signage that explains each room and artifacts is also in English, so it makes it easy to learn about the lives of the nuns.
Part of the convent is closed off because it is still used by the cloistered nuns. I’m told they don’t emerge until after the museum closes to clean it. The sisters do make an ancient herbal drink called “agua de pitimas.” They sell this drink from a streetside rotating wood window.
The entrance fee was $2.50, and the museum entrance is on Hermano Miguel between Juan Jaramillo and Presidente Cordova.
- LA CASA VERDE, ECO FRIENDLY COMFORT, BANOS EC - April 11, 2017
- VILCABAMBA-DISCOVER THE VALLEY OF LONGEVITY - April 6, 2017
- BORED IN RETIREMENT? THINK AGAIN AND HAVE FUN - March 4, 2017
- THE MOST DANGEROUS & DIFFICULT HIKE I’VE EVER DONE - November 20, 2016
- UNIQUE PAXIS BACKPACK, WHY I MADE THE SWITCH - November 9, 2016
- EXPERIENCE AMALFI IN A BEAUTIFUL PRIVATE VILLA - October 30, 2016
- HOW TO GET THE BEST NIGHT SLEEP WHEN TRAVELING - October 29, 2016
- AMAZING AMALFI COAST, AFFORDABLE DAY ON A BOAT - October 9, 2016
- CHORDELEG ECUADOR, EXCLUSIVE SILVER SHOPPING AT ITS BEST - August 2, 2016
- INGAPIRCA, A VISIT TO THE AMAZING YET POWERFUL PAST - July 10, 2016
Get more stuff like this
Join others and get tips, guides, news and more delivered once a week.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.