The Orchid Farm
The Orchid Farm (called Ecuagenera) is more than just a place to buy Orchids; it's a laboratory, gene bank, and education center. They are one of the worlds largest suppliers of Orchids with over 8,000 species of which over 4,200 come from Ecuador. This small farm participates in orchid shows and lectures around the world. Did you know that Orchids make up 16% of all the plants in the world? At the farm, they sell orchids. We were told that orchids can be easy to take care of depending on the variety. They even have very tiny orchids that live in a self-contained glass terrarium of a sort. If you want to learn how to care for orchids, the American Orchid Society has a great reference.
The hour and a half long tour was enjoyable. The time and effort that goes into creating hybrid Orchids is amazing. At the farm, you will see where they start the orchids to where they ship them. They do it all here. The grounds were beautiful, and our tour guide (who was an Intern from France) was very knowledgeable. In addition to the Orchids, there are some tropical plants, fruit trees, and parrots. You don't have to be into Orchids to enjoy this tour, but rather just someone who enjoys nature. The information and orchid variations will be fascinating to all. In fact, something I'll never forget is the key to identifying if a plant is an Orchid. Think 3-2-1… 3 Sepals (outermost flower), 2 Petals (innermost flower part) and 1 Column (in the middle of the flower).
Enjoy all of the orchid pictures we took during our visit. See if you can find the “monkey face” orchid.
For other things to see and do around Cuenca, check out our Cuenca Living blog articles.
A not to be missed place in Cuenca is the Panama Hat Factory.
- A Luxury Galapagos Cruise is an Amazing Lifetime Adventure - February 27, 2020
- How to Have an Amazing Weekend in Napa Wine Tasting - February 11, 2020
- An Amazing One-Day Delectable Sonoma Wine Itinerary - January 28, 2020
- Discover and Enjoy all That is the Best of Santa Rosa Wine - January 14, 2020
- The Best Way to Experience Wonderful Mendocino Wine - December 31, 2019
- Have the Best Time with This 36 Hours San Francisco Itinerary - December 17, 2019
- Absolutely Fun and Awesome Things to Do in Montana - December 3, 2019
- See Utah's National Parks in Style with Utah Luxury Tours - November 5, 2019
- The 9 Absolutely Best Things to do in Salt Lake City - October 22, 2019
- Spotlight on Prague – An Amazing 1-Day Prague Itinerary to See the Best - October 8, 2019