Seven Church Tradition
Stations of the Cross
My mother took me to Stations of the Cross a couple of times when I was young. I did not like going. The service was too long, and I did not understand what was going on. One thing I noticed as I did the seven church visit was that there were a lot of families with young children as well as teenagers entering the churches. Because you visit seven churches in one evening, you do not spend much time in one particular church and are frequently on the move. The other thing I notice was that outside of the churches people were selling carnival or celebration food. I saw hard-boiled quail eggs, grilled meats, and corn for sale as well as many different kinds of sweets.
Outside of the New Cathedral, there were people selling votive candles and religious objects as well as photo opportunities for children with movie characters. For young kids who do not grasp the meaning of the evening what they take away is that this is a fun night to spend with their family. I think this is how this tradition survives here in South America. This night becomes a tradition they look forward to each year. As God is the Father of us all, like any parent, I think that anything that brings families together makes him happy.
Check out our post: Doce de Abril One Big Birthday Party in Cuenca
- See Utah's National Parks in Style with Utah Luxury Tours - November 5, 2019
- The 9 Absolutely Best Things to do in Salt Lake City - October 22, 2019
- Spotlight on Prague – An Amazing 1-Day Prague Itinerary to See the Best - October 8, 2019
- A Spotlight on Fantastic Fun Things to do in Portland Oregon - August 27, 2019
- Discover the Wonderful Oregon Columbia Gorge Wine Country - August 13, 2019
- Discover all that Makes Seattle Amazing in Just Two Days - July 30, 2019
- Enjoy a Scenic Adventure on the Amazing Rocky Mountaineer - July 2, 2019
- What You Need to Know about a Holland America Alaskan Cruise - June 18, 2019
- See the Best Czech Spa Towns in the World, Beginning in Karlovy Vary - June 4, 2019
- Unlock the Hidden Secrets of the Czech Republic-See Ostrava and Opava - May 14, 2019