Seven Church Tradition
Stations of the Cross
My mother took me to Stations of the Cross a couple of times when I was young. I did not like going. The service was too long, and I did not understand what was going on. One thing I noticed as I did the seven church visit was that there were a lot of families with young children as well as teenagers entering the churches. Because you visit seven churches in one evening, you do not spend much time in one particular church and are frequently on the move. The other thing I notice was that outside of the churches people were selling carnival or celebration food. I saw hard-boiled quail eggs, grilled meats, and corn for sale as well as many different kinds of sweets.
Outside of the New Cathedral, there were people selling votive candles and religious objects as well as photo opportunities for children with movie characters. For young kids who do not grasp the meaning of the evening what they take away is that this is a fun night to spend with their family. I think this is how this tradition survives here in South America. This night becomes a tradition they look forward to each year. As God is the Father of us all, like any parent, I think that anything that brings families together makes him happy.
Check out our post: Doce de Abril One Big Birthday Party in Cuenca
- Tri-Valley and Livermore Wine Northern California's Amazing Hidden Gems - March 24, 2020
- Mariposa, Yosemite, and Sequoia a Spotlight on Great Things to See and Do - March 10, 2020
- A Luxury Galapagos Cruise is an Amazing Lifetime Adventure - February 27, 2020
- How to Have an Amazing Weekend in Napa Wine Tasting - February 11, 2020
- An Amazing One-Day Delectable Sonoma Wine Itinerary - January 28, 2020
- Discover and Enjoy all That is the Best of Santa Rosa Wine - January 14, 2020
- The Best Way to Experience Wonderful Mendocino Wine - December 31, 2019
- Have the Best Time with This 36 Hours San Francisco Itinerary - December 17, 2019
- Absolutely Fun and Awesome Things to Do in Montana - December 3, 2019
- See Utah's National Parks in Style with Utah Luxury Tours - November 5, 2019