The Museum of Aboriginal Culture (Museo de las Culturas Aborigenes) boasts over 5,000 archaeological items from the various indigenous people of Ecuador spanning centuries.
More Than Just The Inca
The collection amassed by Juan Cordero Iñiguez, long time historian and professor. The exhibit is in 13 chronological sections of a large loft room of a house in “El Centro” of Cuenca. The display is nicely laid out with plenty of signage to reference each piece. They give you a brochure in your chosen language that explains the artifacts in each section. The collection contains pieces of fossils, lithics, pottery, ceramics, handicrafts and art with many being anthropomorphic in nature. While the Incas are probably the most well-known people to everyone, you will learn that there was a very vibrant existence of cultures before the Inca's with every bit of imagination and creativity.
This collection is fascinating, especially because it is a private collection and many of the artifacts are intact. The museum is located on Calle Larga, between Hermano Miguel and Mariano Cueva. The cost is $2.00 and unlike many other museums in Cuenca, open on Saturdays. The museum also has a small cafe and very nice gift shop.
- WHY TRAVELERS SHOULD CONSIDER AIRPORT HOTELS - July 13, 2017
- HOW TO SWIM WITH PLAYA DEL CARMEN SEA TURTLES - July 3, 2017
- AIRPORT LAYOVERS HAVE NEVER BEEN THIS GREAT - June 3, 2017
- WHAT ALL EXPATS DO WHEN LEAVING THE US, SHOP - May 26, 2017
- LA CASA VERDE, ECO FRIENDLY COMFORT, BANOS EC - April 11, 2017
- VILCABAMBA-DISCOVER THE VALLEY OF LONGEVITY - April 6, 2017
- BORED IN RETIREMENT? THINK AGAIN AND HAVE FUN - March 4, 2017
- THE MOST DANGEROUS & DIFFICULT HIKE I’VE EVER DONE - November 20, 2016
- UNIQUE PAXIS BACKPACK, WHY I MADE THE SWITCH - November 9, 2016
- EXPERIENCE AMALFI IN A BEAUTIFUL PRIVATE VILLA - October 30, 2016